Nero Fiddles While Gordon Burns
Easily among the top five or so UK gameshows of all time, this is fantastic news. But while I’m all for bringing things up to date where necessary, The Krypton Factor is one of those shows that would benefit from sticking as close to the original format as possible. To wit :
- It has to be presented by Gordon “North West Tonight” Burns. Has to be.
- Flight simulator, please.
- Assault course, please. Tweak this if you want, but just make sure it’s still outdoors at a military base somewhere, and full of logs and ropes.
- Observation round to include neat little comic vignettes. Tony Slattery optional, though I bet he’d do it if asked, he can’t seem to get on telly for love nor money nowadays.
- Don’t dumb it down or oversimplify it. The point of the show is that both the “mental” and “physical” challenges should be genuinely taxing. It’s not a “play at home” game.
- Don’t do the stupid climbing tower thing from the later series.
- Don’t do a Gladiators and think you can get away with it on the cheap. A show like this has enough residual affection among the general public that if you spend the money and do it right, you’ll get the ratings.
- It would fit really nicely on a Saturday night nowadays, but DON’T put it up against Who.
- Crystal Maze next, please.